Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Sad News

Glynn County Woman Drowns Daughter, Tries to Drown Son, Kills Herself

That is a headline in the newspaper of my hometown today. It's so sad when your hometown makes the news over something like this.

I found out on Facebook (of all places) & the name sounded so familiar so I looked the story up on the news. It shocked me to find that I knew the girl who did this. I didn't know her very well. We met a couple of times. I did know her brother, who dated one of my close friends, from school & her mom, who worked at the high school.

I don't live there anymore, so I only know what I have seen on Facebook or in the news (neither of which are always reputable). What I understand is that the young mom (Julia, 21) drowned her 4 year old daughter in the bathtub, attempted to drown her 2 year old son, then tucked them into their bed, called 911 & told them what she had done & that she needed an ambulance, & (while still on the phone with the dispatcher) shot herself in the chest. When police arrived, they rushed them to the hospital & the 4 year old was declared dead on arrival. Mom died about an hour later while being prepared to be air-lifted to another hospital. The 2 year old son is (as far as I know) still in stable condition & expected to recover.

This is scarily similar to the Andrea Yates case from 2001.

My heart breaks for her family. This family has already been through a lot. Julia's dad passed away when we were still in high school after being sick for a long time. I'm so sad for them, especially her mother who is a very sweet lady. You shouldn't out-live your children... & especially your grandchild.

Later last night, I was disgusted & a little surprised to see people publicly bashing this girl. I know that when children are involved in things like this it makes people angry. It upsets me, too. It's not right & I am in no way condoning what this woman did, but why are people so quick to involve themselves in the slandering of a tragic event?

People are complex. Not everyone is strong. People do things that are inexcusable. I'm not saying it is right, but publicly crucifying this girl doesn't help anything. It doesn't help her family whose world turned upside down yesterday. It doesn't help her friends who will spend the rest of their lives wondering if they could have done something differently to stop this from happening. It doesn't help the poor 2 year old who had to go through this horrific incident & is now motherless.

No one knows what was happening in that home. No one knows what this girl was dealing with.
Don't speak ill of people you don't know or have any idea about what their lives were like. It is easy to be quick to judge & think you know the whole story when you hear something like this, but the truth of the matter is you don't. Her family didn't even know. People are good at hiding things. Some people struggle & hurt. It doesn't make it right to jump to conclusions & say terrible things about people you don't know. Who are we to judge others, anyway? Whether you are religious or live by the golden rule to treat others how you want to be treated, you know that acting in this way isn't right. People are too quick to throw others under the bus without knowing the whole story & too quick to act like they are a model person, mother, daughter, or son.

This is so sad. I'm sad for Julia. I'm sad for her family. I'm sad for the 4 year old little girl who will never see another birthday, make new friends, go to her first prom, get married, or have children of her own. I'm sad for the 2 year old little boy who will have to deal with this again when he is old enough to understand what happened to him, his sister, & his mom. I'm sad for everyone involved.
It makes you wonder how many people are 1 bad decision away from something like this. How many people in our lives do we think we really know, but really haven't a clue? What really goes on in the back of people's minds? It's frightening.

How can a person get this far gone & no one has a clue?
I can't stress enough that if you know someone who is going through a hard time, get them help. Talk to them. Take them seriously. Open the door to remove them from a bad situation. Do anything but nothing.


http://jacksonville.com/news/georgia/2010-02-16/story/police_glynn_county_woman_drowns_daughter_tries_to_drown_son_then_kill

No comments:

Post a Comment